The UK Government updated its Coronavirus Regulations (28/02/20) to include noise restrictions in bars, clubs and restaurants. Whereby “a person responsible for carrying on a business of a public house, café, restaurant or bar (including a bar in a hotel or members’ club) must, during the emergency period, ensure that no music is played on the premises which exceed 85db(A) when measured at the source of the music”.
Restrictions also cover noise generated from singing. This is in response to a number of recent studies including one by the University of Bristol* suggesting that the louder people talk, sing or shout the more aerosols and droplets are generated. Aerosols are tiny particles that are exhaled from the body and float in the air, whereas droplets can fall onto surfaces. There is emerging evidence that these particles as well as droplets of saliva can spread coronavirus.
The study found that the volume of the voice had the largest impact on the amount of aerosol produced; there was a small difference between speaking and singing at a similar sound level, whereas singing or shouting at the loudest level could generate 30 times more aerosol.
These COVID Noise Control Signs can help. They light up at a pre-set decibel level to warn when noise levels have got too high and there is a likelihood that people would need to shout to be heard. To cover a larger area up to 3 Remote Units can be daisy-chained to a Master.
- Noise control sign lights up when pre-set noise levels are exceeded
- Quick & simple to install
- Warning light trigger level can be adjusted from 40dB(A) to 114dB(A)
- Adjustable warning light using high-intensity white LED technology for high visual impact and long operating life
- These signs can be daisy-chained via a Master and Remote units to share the message over larger areas.
- Suitable warning sign for noise-prone environments.
- Ideal for use in pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, leisure and entertainment spaces, places of worship, schools, universities and other public buildings.